Thursday, September 16, 2010

Franzen and Oprah Kiss and Make Up and It Gets Me Thinking About Art in America and Batman

Tomorrow, Friday, Oprah will announce that her new (possibly last) selection for her book club will be Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. You may recall that Franzen's last novel, The Corrections, was also chosen as an Oprah Book Club Selection, but due to some poorly chosen words by Franzen that were largely taken out of context, he was uninvited to appear on the show, due to what Oprah deemed, his "conflicted" feelings.

There's a large, weird part of me where I want the stuff (I'm going to say "stuff" and not "art") I enjoy, whether it be music, movies, books, whatever, to remain mine, to remain secret, in the most selfish and childish sense. It's a suspended reality, this illusion of ownership. But also, at the same time, I want to expose people to this same stuff, to push it on others, convince them of its worth, and to cheer for its much deserved, wider recognition.

So, it gets tricky, because we believe that what the masses enjoy can't be good, that the mass culture is stupid and enjoys stupid things like Two and A Half Men and James Patterson and The Black Eyed Peas. But what happens when art is both good and adored by the mass population? Can Real Art withstand popularity? Withstand recognition? Withstand the machine of consumerism? Because, of course, the fear (by me and others like me...though don't say snobs because that is not the right word) is that this popularity will A) dilute the art, turning it into a product of sorts and B) change the artist, for the worse. Always for the worst.

Franzen is not a secret. I realize that. But he's still in the "respected writer" camp, though some still think him a pretentious, untalented stooge. But I think we (you know who you are) need to re-evaluate our notions of Art and Mass Culture because the two are merging, at least here in America. I suppose they've always been merging, or advertising companies have been trying to merge them since who knows when. But it seems to me that the merge has sped up in the last, let's say ten years. I guess I'm thinking of things like The Sopranos, The Wire, and Mad Men. Of the recent fame of Stieg Larsson and his Millennium Trilogy. Of Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight. Of the rise of bands like The Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem and "indie rock" in general, for better or worse.

Don't get me wrong, most entertainment enjoyed by the masses is terrible and mostly because it's not trying to be more than entertainment. You're not about to catch me watching an episode (are they called episodes?) of The Bachelor(ette). But I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's okay to enjoy art that a lot of other people also enjoy. I'm saying this to myself and to people like me. Those who generally scoff at mass culture (not necessarily "pop culture", that's a bit different and tends to be more interesting), instinctively offering a snide, irony-soaked remark on what is popular, cutting it down merely because it is popular. Because popular things can't be any good, right? Right?!

Well, now I'm not so sure. There are some conflicting examples and ideas in this post, I acknowledge that but I just wanted to get the thoughts brewing and I don't really feel like going back and cleaning it up. I mean, come on, it's the Internet.

Things I Enjoy That Also Happen to Be Very Popular:

  • Jonathan Franzen
  • Miller High Life
  • Modern Family
  • the NBA
  • Arby's Roast Beef Sandwiches (mostly because of the Arby's sauce)

1 comment:

  1. I have very strong feelings of protectiveness over the popularity of what I like also. (I'm thinking of when I couldn't call The Shins my favorite band after Garden State, for example.)

    It seems that while I want an artist (writer, musician, director) I admire to be successful to enable future work, I don't want him/her to be so successful that it somehow implicates my feelings of personal connection with him.

    In other words, how special can my connection with someone be if it becomes popular culture and other people feel the same way?

    I'm trying to think of exceptions to the rule. Radiohead, for example, is every bit as good as it is popular and its popularity does not compromise my enjoyment. Mad Men or The Sopranos are also good examples of shows that I think most people who watch do not fully understand how good what they're watching is.

    It seems odd, but the closest I can come to an example in fiction also involves the Oprah Book Club - when The Road was selected as a pick and McCarthy agreed to appear on the show, which was devastating to me in how obviously like pandering it seemed. And yet, the book was and is still very very good.

    I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete