Thursday, December 10, 2009

Review of : Of the Farm by John Updike


This is my first Updike novel. I forget where I had come across this recommendation. So...successful city man and his new wife and step son visit his childhood farm where his kinda-dying widowed mother still lives. I say "kinda-dying" because it's implied that she's on the way out, though no illness is mentioned. Old age?

A gentle introduction into Updike's world, though from what I can gather, Updike made his career on chronicling suburban disillusionment and the despair of the American dream (and writing about sex I guess, which is why a lot of people hate him...or why a lot of people love him). So this slim novel would seem set a part from all that. Well, sex is sprinkled about, hither and thither. I think that's the first time I've ever typed "hither and thither." I might dip my toe into the "Rabbit" quadrilogy, see what all the fuss is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment