Thursday, December 24, 2009

Review of : Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan


I grabbed this at the library on a whim. The art work is like nothing I've really seen before, yet not so foreign as to be distracting. She does some interesting things with her colors, and her display of water seems to stand out in my mind, which seems like an odd thing to remark on, I know. At times, Modan's art work has an almost child-like innocence which couples remarkably well with the serious subject matter: commonplace terrorism, death, complex love, fractured families, class, racism, and sexism.

The story centers around Kobe, a young taxi driver in Tel Aviv. One day, a young woman approaches him, telling him that she thinks his father has died in a recent suicide bombing. The narrative launches off from that point, Kobe trying to solve the mystery of his father's possible death and reconciling his bitter feelings toward aforementioned father.

There are some really great moments strung throughout the graphic novel and the last panel of the book left me feeling hopeful and terrified, which is how I imagine a lot of the Middle East must feel most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment