Sunday, May 16, 2010

Review of : CivilWarLand In Bad Decline by George Saunders


He done did it to me again. I love everything that pours out of George's weird brain. I'm starting to think that he's less a satirist (a term that is quickly making its way onto my Words That Look Ugly and I Hate Saying and Typing Them List) and more just a damn fine fiction writer with his ear pressed against the metaphorical American ground. These stories would be super dark and sad (which they are) if they weren't also so damn funny and thoughtful. And I've said this before, but the stories are usually dark, sad, funny and thoughtful at the same time, which of course is remarkably awesome and the reason that I fantasize about writing stories myself.

My Favorite Stories: CivilWarLand In Bad Decline, Isabelle, The Wavemaker Falters, The 400-Pound CEO, and Bounty.

Check this Saunders story: Al Roosten

No comments:

Post a Comment