Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Review of : Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower


I guess there was hype surrounding this collection, as everyone keeps mentioning in their reviews (so I'll mention it too!). I don't remember there being that much publishing hoop-la over it...no more than other books anyway.

I think, for the most part, Mr. Tower deserves whatever praise he gets. He is a hell of a short story writer. Some stand outs include The Brown Coast, Retreat, Executors of Important Energies, Down Through the Valley, On the Show, and Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned.


"It was much hotter now, and the sun glared down through the sky like a flashlight behind a sheet." pg. 11

"Bob glimpsed the melancholy little change purse he had between his legs, and looked away." pg.17

"He'd tell me love was like chickenpox, a thing to get through early because it could really kill you in later years." pg.68

"I was hoping I could sell the patent for a hundred thousand or so and then hurry to the Gulf Coast to cram a pontoon boat and a big-titted stranger into the hollow places in my heart." pg.70

No comments:

Post a Comment