Friday, January 8, 2010

Review of : Fun Home by Alison Bechdel



I think I'm gonna have to read this again because 1. it was very good and 2. there are a lot of allusions going on and I'm not sure I connected all the dots. References to the Adams Family, Daedalus and Icarus myth, Minotaur and the Labyrinth, Proust, Camus, F Scott Fitzgerald, Ulysses and James Joyce, etc. So it's worth a second read, for sure.

The art is excellent. I know I've been saying that a lot about the graphic novels I've been reading but, well, they've just been really good. I can't talk too much about the plot without giving away pretty much everything so I will say it's about memory as reality, distorted truths, uncovered truths, family, sexual enlightenment, complex paternal relationships, and gardening.

Bechdel says this about her art..."It's very important for me that people be able to read the images in the same kind of gradually unfolding way as they're reading the text. I don't like pictures that don't have information in them. I want pictures that you have to read, that you have to decode, that take time, that you can get lost in. Otherwise what's the point?"

No comments:

Post a Comment